We are proud to be supporting the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA) Vulnerable Road User Campaign, THINK! Travel Like You Know Them Campaign at Go Traffic Management.
The campaign, designed to help improve the safety of cyclists, pedestrians, and horse-riders, looks to promote the changes made to the Highway Code last year and raise awareness of drivers’ responsibilities.
With more than 400 company vehicles operating nationwide, we know how important this campaign is and are working with colleagues to get this message across the workforce and supply chain.
As a reminder, key changes that drivers must observe are:
Pedestrians: Drivers must…
- Give priority to pedestrians at junctions, pedestrian controlled crossings, and zebra crossings.
- Give greater consideration to children, older adults and the disabled.
- Not turn into or out of a junction if it would cause a cyclist, a horse rider or a horse drawn vehicle to stop or swerve. You must wait for a safe gap before you turn into or out of the junction.
Cyclists / Horse Riders / Horse Drawn Vehicles – Drivers must…
- Give way to cyclists coming from behind or towards them, and only turn after the cyclist has safely passed your vehicle (Drivers need to double check their nearside mirrors before turning left).
- Give cyclists at least 1.5 metres clearance when overtaking at speeds of up to 30 mph and give them greater clearance if passing at higher speeds.
- Not cut across cyclists, horse riders or horse drawn vehicles whilst turning into junctions or changing lanes.
And always open your door with care!
HSEQ & Support Services Director, Matthew O’Sullivan said,
“As a national traffic management company, we are acutely aware of the importance of road safety, and the need to protect vulnerable road users.
We are using this campaign to engage with our workforce and re-highlight the key changes that were made to the Highway Code in 2022, as part of our ongoing Health & Safety activities.”